Search US Immigration Forum

Articles and Links

J Visas and the Two Year Foreign Residency Requirement

Contact Us
To schedule a consultation either in person or by telephone,
call toll free:

Exchange Program Visas

The J-1 visa category is used by "international visitors," which include: students, scholars, experts, medical interns, and business employees. These people enter the United States with a J-1 visa as "exchange visitors" with the goal of gaining experience, studying or doing research in their particular line of work. The amount of time a visitor is allowed to stay in the United States depends on the function of the visitor. Students may stay as long as necessary to complete their academic programs, while casual international and business visitors are more limited in the length of stay in the U.S.